Naantali Church

Located in the heart of Naantali’s Old Town, the medieval stone church is the main concert venue of Naantali Music Festival. It has been drawn in the skyline of the city for centuries. The history of the church began on August 23, 1443, when the then King Kristoffer of Sweden-Finland approved the establishment of a Georgian monastery on the lands of the then parish of Raisio. This day is also considered the day of the founding of Naantali, Armonlaakso (the Valley of Mercy), as a city had to be established in connection with the monastery to serve the inhabitants and pilgrims of the monastery. The monastery was officially inaugurated in 1462. For decades Naantali has fall silent to listen the play from the monastery church tower at 8 pm on summer evenings. This call, reminiscent of the time of prayer in the monastery, takes place in three directions: first to the president, then to the old city, and finally to the sea. Read more.

​​​​​​Address:Nunnakatu 1, Naantali

 

Accessibility

 

Rymättylä Church

Rymättylä Church is located just over 30 kilometers from Turku and about 15 kilometers from the center of Naantali. The stone church dedicated to St. James was built at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries and the vault was made at the end of the 15th century. The vault built inside the rugged stone walls is acoustically excellent. The whitewashed walls are richly and colorfully decorated. The oldest of the many wooden sculptures in the church dates from the 1350s, the smiling Jaakko from Rymättylä has been preserved in its original colors. Read more.

Address: Taipaleentie, Rymättylä

 

Accessibility

  • The church is accessible, but the altar is not accessible by wheelchair.
  • The disabled toilet is located in the maintenance building of the cemetery.
  • For more information on accessibility, please contact the parish master.

 

Raisio Church

Raisio Church, located near the center of Raisio, is named after St. Martinus, a French bishop who died in 397. According to the recent research the church was built in the early 16th century. According to the story, the church was built by giants Killi and Nalli. This is described, for example, in Sakari Topelius’ book Our Land. Read more.

Address:Kirkkotie 2, Raisio

 

Accessibility

Disabled parking along the main corridor. Access to the church is barrier-free. There are two steps to the altar, i.e., to the front of the church. Wheelchair rails are available on request. The interior of the church is equipped with an induction loop. The toilets are located in a separate building near the church.

 

Askainen Church

The Askainen Church is a stone church from the 17th-century era of the Swedish Great Power in the present-day municipality of Masku. Next to the church is a separate belfry dating from 1779. The exact age of the church is not known, but it was built on the site of an earlier wooden church, and its present appearance dates from the 1653 renovation commissioned by Governor-General Herman Klaunpoika Fleming. Fleming was the owner of Louhisaari Manor, and the church was built as the manor’s chapel church. Read more.

Address:Askaistentie 788, Askainen

 

Merimasku Church

Merimasku originally belonged to the Masku parish. Due to the lengthy journey and the difficult transport connections, Merimasku was annexed to Naantali by order of King John III of Sweden in 1577. As water and road connections to Naantali were also challenging, Merimasku was finally given its own church and priest in 1648. The first church in Merimasku was wooden and quite modest. With the era of reconstruction that began after the end of the Russian occupation during the Great Northern War, an even larger church – the present one – was built in Merimasku, and it was completed in 1726. In 1850 the walls were painted to look like marble. Read more.

Address: Paltteentie 10, Merimasku

 

Accessibility

  • Access to the church and the altar is barrier-free.
  • Induction loop available for the hard of hearing.
  • The disabled toilet is located in the maintenance building of the cemetery.
  • For more information on accessibility, please contact the parish master.

Själö island and church

Själö’s long history is marked by decades as a place of treatment for lepers and the mentally ill. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the sick who were brought to the island lived in isolation from the rest of the world, with no hope of leaving once they entered the island. Wooden crosses in the graveyard surrounding the church still serve as reminders of the fates of the sick. In the 20th century, the asylum was closed, and the premises were taken over by the Archipelago Research Institute of the University of Turku. Active, multidisciplinary research of the archipelago and the Baltic Sea region is still carried out on the island, with a focus on long-term monitoring of the state of the marine environment.

The Själö Church was built in 1733 on the site of an earlier church, the wooden St George’s church, which had been transferred there from Turku in 1624. The Själö wooden church is cruciform. A balustrade separates the western part of the church, where ‘those afflicted with infectious diseases’ sat ¬¬– that is, the lepers. The section for the sick has its own small altar and entrance, which is now closed. Read more.

Accessibility

  • The island’s roads are mostly accessible. However, the island is hilly and moving around in a wheelchair is very difficult, at least without an assistant.
  • There are no accessible facilities on the island.
  • There is no barrier-free access to the church.

Kaivohuone

Naantalin Kaivohuone has long and honourable traditions, which are maintained and cherished. High-quality cuisine and an in-house bakery create mouth-watering food experiences for visitors. Naantalin Kaivohuone was built in 1868. Like the so-called lace villas, it represents the Rococo style and has also drawn inspiration from the Gustavian style. The original Kaivohuone included large terraces facing the sea and the church, now converted into interior spaces. The current wallpaper in Kaivohuone is a replica of the original wallpaper designs. The exterior colouring of the building follows the recommendations and ideas of the Finnish Heritage Agency as to the original colour of Kaivohuone. Read more.

Address: Nunnakatu 4, Naantali

 

Accessibility

There is barrier-free access to the restaurant from the main entrance, and there is a disabled toilet in the restaurant. At concerts, wheelchair spaces are located in the Kaivohuone floor, which is accessible from the main entrance.

 

Kultaranta

The Kultaranta Estate and Garden were founded by businessman Alfred Kordelin, and after his death Kultaranta became the property of the state. The granite main building, designed by Lars Sonck in the National Romantic style and completed in 1916, stands on the highest hill in the area. The tower of this granite castle offers a wide view of Naantali and the nearby archipelago. The Kultaranta Garden is one of the first and best-preserved French formal gardens in Finland. The architectural style includes trimmed shrubs and neoclassical garden buildings. The garden was designed by Helsinki’s first regular City Gardener Svante Olsson and his son, garden architect Paul Olsson. Read more.

Address: Kordelininkatu 1, Naantali

 

Accessibility

  • The Kultaranta Garden has spacious sandy or tiled walkways. There are a few steps at the pavilions. There are a few benches along the way.
  • The disabled toilet is located in the ticket office building in the parking area of the Kultaranta Garden.

Kristoffer Hall

Kristoffer Hall, which was opened in 1989, was completely renovated in 2009. The new 210-seat auditorium is ideal for theatre and concert events, seminars and lectures. The acoustics have been designed to accommodate the hall’s versatile use. The acoustics of the hall can now be adapted to theatre, lectures, acoustic and electronic concerts. The adjacent Birgitta Hall is also available – it is used as a lobby space for the Kristoffer Hall, but also as an exhibition space. Read more.

Address: Opintie 2, Naantali

 

Accessibility

  • Accessible entrance and passage from one space to another: at the main entrance (common entrance to Kristoffer and Birgitta Halls), there is a wheelchair ramp. There is a low threshold at the doors leading to the auditorium of the Kristoffer Hall. Staff will assist if necessary.
  • Accessible toilet
  • Accessible parking: disabled taxi can stop in front of the main entrance.
  • Wheelchair spaces in the auditorium.

Naantali Spa

Naantali Spa is a famous spa and congress hotel by the sea, in the idyllic old town of Naantali. The spa brings the centuries-old spa tradition of this old monastery town elegantly to the present day, with a touch of luxury and harmony, plenty of relaxation and unhurried enjoyment. Naantali Spa is one of the most popular spa destinations in Finland. In 2019, Naantali Spa was awarded as the best hotel in Finland at the international World Travel Awards. Read more.

Address: Matkailijantie 2, Naantali

 

Accessibility

The hotel has barrier-free access, and public disabled toilets are located on the ground floor and P floor of the hotel. There are accessible rooms available, which are designed with practicality and ease of movement in mind.

 

Sibelius Museum

The Sibelius Museum building is one of the most distinctive creations of Finnish modernism in the 1960s. Its simple and austere, yet exciting and unique formal language attracts architecture enthusiasts from all over the world. The museum building was inaugurated in 1968 and designed by architect Woldemar Baeckman. The museum is built around the Sibelius Hall, which was used as a concert hall. Adjacent to the concert hall is a square atrium courtyard, flanked by other museum premises. The original interior of the museum was designed by Carin Bryggman, including the lighting and the chairs in the concert hall. Later additions have been made to the interior. Read more.

Address: Piispankatu 17, Turku

 

Accessibility

  • Barrier-free access to part of the premises: entrance floor premises
  • Accessible toilet
  • Disabled parking
  • Seating in the exhibition halls

Temppelinaukio Church

Temppeliaukio Church is the church of the Töölö parish in Helsinki. The building was completed in 1969. The church, built into excavated bedrock, was designed by Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen. Thanks to its acoustic properties, the church is a popular venue for concerts. The church is built into the bedrock and is accessed directly from street level without climbing any stairs. The free-form, oval-shaped church hall is bathed in daylight, thanks to a skylight of varying width between the rock wall and the dome. The skylight has 180 radial beams of different lengths supporting the dome. Both the beams and the supporting structure of the dome are made of reinforced concrete. The dome is the only mathematical form in the hall. Read more.

Address: Lutherinkatu 3, Helsinki

 

Accessibility

The entrance and the church hall of Temppeliaukio Church are at street level. It is easy to move around in the church by wheelchair, rollator and pram. The only access to the balcony is by stairs.

Partners

Naantali Music Festival warmly thanks its partners and supporters for their cooperation.

Tukijat

Follow us all year round